Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Day 6

The day began with a Eucharist enlivened by wonderful, uplifting music by the St. Augustine's choir. Made all of us North Carolinians so proud.

I spent the afternoon back  in the House of Bishops.  Much of their work time was on elections to many boards like the Trustees of General Seminary.  But they did Have an extensive  debate about a resolution to establish a task force to study more in depth the issue of "open Communion"," or the issue of whether Communion can only be given to those who are baptized, which is what the Canons and the rubrics say are the standard.  I would have loved to have had this study group established so we might continue the debate, even though I am fairly confident of where I stand on this issue.  However, the bishops, by only a two vote margin, defeated this resolution that had already been passed by the House of Deputies.
Much legislative work still to be completed by this General Convention!

I did have a lovely evening with colleagues from Virginia Seminary.  I was seated at a table with three bishops, including the retired bishop of Western NC, Bob Johnson.  A lovely evening although I had worn heels for what turned out to be a LONG  four block walk back to my hotel.   About hallway back to my hotel I had to take off those heels and walk back barefooted, Alabama style.  The warm sidewalk felt wonderful.

More adventures tomorrow!

Miriam+

No comments:

Post a Comment